Deloitte survey finds that more than half of consumers will shop Black Friday
More than half of consumers plan to shop on Black Friday this year, although the number has decreased since last year. According to the Deloitte Pre-Thanksgiving Survey, 53% of 1,000 consumers polled will shop on Black Friday, compared to 63% in 2012.
Younger consumers are more likely to shop Black Friday, with 68% of weekend shoppers age 18-29 planning to shop that day and 44% of Black Friday shoppers in this age group planning to hit the stores between midnight and 5 a.m., compared to 30% of those 30 and older.
However, only 13% of consumers plan to shop in stores on Thanksgiving Day, down from 23% last year. Shoppers expect to spend an average of $286 during the holiday weekend. Other findings include:
- 48% plan to shop online, and 48% plan to shop in-store (catalog accounts for 4%).
- 19% plan to shop online on Thanksgiving Day – six percentage points higher than in the stores.
- 44% plan to shop online on Black Friday.
- 47% plan to shop online on Cyber Monday.
- 80% of consumers say their spending has not been negatively impacted by last month’s government shutdown.
- 63% say the U.S. economy is recovering (up from 48% at this time last year).
- On average, shoppers surveyed have completed only 18% of their gift shopping to date.
- Nearly half (47%) haven’t done any of their holiday gift shopping.
- 23% say they’ll take advantage of early Black Friday deals online.
- 48% say retailers offer comparable deals online and in-stores during the Thanksgiving weekend.
- 59% plan to avoid shopping in the stores to avoid crowds – up from 49% in 2012
- 40% say they don’t rely on Black Friday or Cyber Monday as much as they used to for holiday shopping.
- 35% of consumers surveyed plan to research online before shopping in stores over the Black Friday weekend.
- 26% of shoppers will check out products in the store before shopping over the holiday weekend.
- More than half (52%) of consumers are expected to spend up to two hours researching Black Friday deals.