Macy's leverages social media to generate Black Friday buzz
Macy’s plans to get a jump on Black Friday and break tradition by opening the doors to most of its locations nationwide at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving evening, making it the first time in its history that the retailer will be open for business on the holiday.
Limited-time specials in every department for hundreds of items include exclusive fragrances, name-brand apparel and kitchen gadgets. Macy's will also donate $2 to Make-a-Wish, up to $100,000, for any One Direction "Our Moment" fragrance purchase beginning at opening for Black Friday.
The retailer is giving consumers a first look at select Black Friday specials on its Pinterest page.
Macy's will also be leveraging its mobile app and marketing it as a shopper's digital personal assistant. The app will allow consumers to plan a personal Black Friday shopping strategy in advance. Beginning Nov. 21, customers will be able to view Black Friday specials on their mobile devices and create customized shopping lists that can be edited and shared with friends.
"Black Friday is the biggest shopping event of the year and brings with it a level of fun and excitement to our customers around the nation," said Peter Sachse, Macy's chief stores officer. "For Macy's, it's important to make this day enjoyable and convenient for everyone, as our customers search for great deals on favorite wish-list items. Shopping at Macy's on Black Friday means having the opportunity to purchase the most sought-after products at unbelievable savings."
Macy’s made the call to break with tradition and open on Thanksgiving evening in response to interest from customers who prefer to start their shopping early.
As added incentive to drive people to its stores, the retailer will be offering Black Friday doorbusters, available while supplies last. Consumers will be able to shop for the following limited-time deals from 8 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 28 through 1 p.m. Friday, Nov. 29 as well as Saturday, Nov. 30 from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.:
- $19.99 Rampage boots
- $39.99 Charter Club cashmere crewneck
- $9.99 Your choice coffee maker, griddle, waffle maker, rocket blender, toaster, slow cooker, deep fryer, panini maker, pressure cooker, blenders, toaster oven and skillet from Bella, Black & Decker and Westinghouse (after $10 rebate)
- $169 3/8 ct. t.w. diamond studs in 14k white gold
- $49.99 Tag Fairfield III five-piece luggage set
- 60% off, plus an additional 10% off all Martha Stewart Collection collector's enameled cast iron casseroles
- Free 8-piece deluxe mini scent sampler with any $95 fragrance purchase
- Buy 1 American Rag junior's sweater, dress, jean, top or coat and get 1 free of equal or lesser value than purchased item
- $49.99 Sharper Image action camera
- 30% off impulse contemporary apparel from Kensie, Lucky Brand, Miss Me, RACHEL Rachel Roy, Bar III and more
Macy's operates approximately 800 locations in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and Guam, as well as via its online store.